<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

SONIC DOOM 

AP photo -- William Luther

The fact that I've only got about half of a Mariner game post up from last night (thanks to a bad call and a nearly two-hour rain delay) gives me a good opportunity to talk about something big.

As you more than likely know already, the Seattle SuperSonics have been sold by Howard Schultz' ownership group to a new ownership group that hails from Oklahoma City. As we know, Oklahoma City has been the temporary home for the New Orleans Hornets, and David Stern has said that New Orleans will get the Hornets back. Oklahoma City pitched hard for the Hornets and has drawn well attendancewise at the games.

So knowing that the Hornets are probably headed back to New Orleans and knowing that Oklahoma City would still want a team, and then an Oklahoma City-based ownership group buys the Seattle SuperSonics, well, I don't have to tell you what the conclusion of many fans in the Seattle market is. It's sad considering the Sonics are the longest-running major professional team in the city, and have the richest history as a result. They also have the last men's professional championship***. In the time that I've been alive, the Sonics have wowed me with the likes of the Gary Payton/Shawn Kemp teams and with the absolute surprise of the 2004-2005 team that was picked to finished last and won 52 games and the division instead.

In short, though, what do I have to say about this? I don't know if it walks like a duck or it talks like a duck...

...but it sure reeks like one.

[***edit 25 Jul ~1:09a -- technically this isn't true, because I can hear Softy Mahler somewhere out there correcting me right now by saying the Seattle SeaDogs came away with the Continental Indoor Soccer League title one year. I meant major sports.]

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page