<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 05, 2005

RANDOM EXCESS MEMORY 

I hardly ever do posts that aren't long (I'm not promising this one won't be), but it's a Mariner off day, the Sonics are resting for the series against the Spurs, and I just haven't gone random in a while.

So now I'm going random. Not that you couldn't just enjoy Jeremy's off-day post directly below this one, but I'm chiming in too.

-- "Lovedrive" is an underrated Scorpions song. So is "Still Loving You."

-- If I eat cheddar cheese that doesn't taste good melted, does that mean I've eaten a bad form of cheddar cheese, or is cheddar just not intended to be melted?

-- Melted mozzarella is way better than string cheese.

-- If the Pistons (horse with green/tealish color) and the Islanders (Gorton's fisherman) realized their logos were so bad that they changed them almost all the way back to the original...do we put the Sonics in the same boat since their uniforms are a lot like their pre-Key duds? Granted, I thought the Sonics' space-needle oval logo served its purpose and did its job; I didn't think it was ugly until they ran the red uniforms out on the floor (Santa suits).

-- I've said it already, but I'm digging the Cubs with no last names on their home uniforms. They look great. There's something of a semi-menacing undercurrent to seeing Mark Prior with just a 22 on his back pitching at Wrigley. Don't try to think about what a "semi-menacing undercurrent" is because I just did, and I can't really decipher it.

-- As cool as the Cubs ripping the last names off their home duds is, the Dodgers ripping the last names off all of their jerseys doesn't work as well. In a different life when someone hires me to teach "Sports Uniform Aesthetics 101," I will tell my class that there's too much empty space on the backs of the Dodgers' uniforms, and that some other type of number font needs to be used, rather than the regular kind used by a dozen or so teams (including the Mariners). If you're gonna take the surnames off, something has to fill a portion of that space. Also, since it's the Dodgers, I'd expect some sort of cool number font to maybe be a little more traditional, who knows.

-- When the White Sox, Rockies, and Twins had no last names on the backs of their home uniforms, they looked great.

-- Are you sick of the uniform blabber yet?

-- I'm not sure what irks me more, that awkward period in 2000 when I was hearing Styx and Bon Jovi played on KISW (I've got no problem with either, but it's stuff I'd rather hear on KZOK), or the fact that the 96.5-FM station in the Seattle area is now "Jack FM," i.e., some faceless radio station that has a dozen or so different stations around the country. Playing what the machine wants.

-- I've loved this special season for the Sonics, and I'm keeping that in mind even though I think the Spurs have this series in six games. Bruce Bowen's gotten into Ray Allen's head during the season, and unless Danny Fortson plows Bowen with a screen, it's going to definitely be a factor. I hope Vladimir Radmanovic goes nuts in at least one game though.

-- I was watching that PrimeTime Live special last night where former American Idol contestant Corey Clark alleged he had an affair with Paula Abdul while he was on the show. I could only think of two things the entire time -- (1) Paula Abdul hit it big in 1989, and that makes me feel incredibly old, and (2) the song that Clark wrote about the whole alleged affair (and the clips were liberally spread across the hour-long story) freakin' SUCKS. I mean, it's great to write what you feel, I guess, but do you ever get the feeling when you're hearing a song that it's forced or awkward?

-- Do kids still play Slug Bug when a new version of the Volkswagen Beetle goes by?

-- Would a random focus group get behind my pipe-dream proposal to have television commercial jingles banned, or have the jingles face the American Idol panel? Ezekiel's Home Furnishing and Appliances is just all right for me, dog...

-- I talked with a friend not too long ago, and we agreed on a broad, yet concise statement -- The Simpsons, though good, is the play-it-safe version of Family Guy. Though a bad comparison, Bart and the gang are kind of like what Leno is to Letterman, except if Leno was pretty good.

-- If you like semi-obscure 80s references like we do, and if you haven't seen Robot Chicken on the Cartoon Network yet, you have to see it. 11:30 late Sunday nights. Claymation and the twisted mind of Seth Green. Why don't we just call it Project Bananarama?!


Okay, I really need to do something else now. It's a beautiful day in the Northwest. Actually, it's a great day for baseball. Or hitting baseballs. Either way.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page