<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 07, 2005

IT'S BEEN SUCH A LONG TIME 

When was the last time the Seattle Seahawks won a playoff game?

Try December 22, 1984 (see the Seattle P-I reprint of that game article here)

Did you know that Steve Largent didn't catch a single ball in that 13-7 win against the then-Los Angeles Raiders? And being the class act that he has always been, Largent said after the game, "I don't really care. I think any wide receiver will tell you the fun part is catching passes, but the bottom line is whether you win or lose."

How long has it been since the last Seahawks playoff victory? Madonna's "Like A Virgin" was number one on the charts, the Mariners were the laughingstocks of baseball, and I was 2 years old.

I can't say that I remember the last Seahawks playoff victory, since I was just 2 years old. But I've met many diehard Seahawks fans who still remember December 22, 1984 like it was yesterday. The Seahawks and their fans are long overdue for a playoff victory. In the last 20 years, teams such as the Carolina Panthers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and even the Arizona Cardinals have won a playoff game. Hell, the Panthers reached the Super Bowl last year!

It's fair to say that until the Seahawks get that playoff drought off their back, they won't garner the respect they want to get across the country. You have to win in order to get respect. There are still some fans in this country who think that Steve Largent still plays for the Seahawks. There are also a few media outlets who still use the old Seahawks logo instead of the new logo. Lack of respect? Maybe. But the Seahawks have to do something about it. What's that something?

Win.

In that win over the Raiders in 1984, Dan Doornink ran for 123 yards, a franchise playoff rushing record to this day. Shaun Alexander will likely break that mark tomorrow. Alexander ran for 45 yards and 3 touchdowns at Green Bay in the playoffs last year, but it's definitely safe to say that the Seahawks will use Alexander more tomorrow.

20 years ago, the Seahawks retired the #12 in honor of the fans. "The 12th Man", in other words. Tomorrow afternoon in Qwest Field, the 12th Man has to come through. BE LOUD! BE CRAZY! YELL LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW! I can tell you from experience that my voice is hoarse as hell after each Seahawks game I've attended (4). Hell, my voice may be hoarse Sunday morning and I'll be watching the game in Arkansas, a good 2300 miles away from Seattle.

It's important to be vocal tomorrow afternoon. For every false start the Rams offensive line has, that's a credit to the fans. It's the first outdoor playoff home game in Seahawks history. There's a reason why the stadium was built, for days like tomorrow. For anybody that is complaining about the weather up there tomorrow, shut the hell up. I'll be more than glad to take your tickets away from you right now and use them myself. Bad weather, who cares? If I can survive the Raider game from 2001 at Husky Stadium, I can survive anything.

If the St. Louis media is talking about omens, I might as well bring up one omen myself. In 1984, the Seahawks signed future Hall of Famer Franco Harris. The Seahawks traded for a future Hall of Famer this season in Jerry Rice.

You want to know how long it's been since the Seahawks won a playoff game?

Jerry Rice was still playing football at Mississippi Valley State.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page