<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 18, 2004

HE'S OUR TREAT NOW 

Jerry Rice, Seattle Seahawk

Well, I'll be damned.

Before I go on about Rice, let's just give credit to the Seahawks for making a deadline move. After all, there's a certain baseball team that doesn't know what a deadline deal is.

Yes, Rice is 42 years old. Yes, he's past his prime. But he's Jerry Rice.

THE BEST RECEIVER IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL.

(1985-, 194 TD rec, 1524 rec, 22,533 rec yards)

This reminds me of the Mariners when they signed Rickey Henderson in May 2000. Like Rice, Henderson spent the majority of his career in the Bay Area. I lived in the Bay Area for over 5 years and was able to watch Henderson and Rice play. It's no coincidence as to why Henderson and Rice are two of my all-time favorite athletes. What I have always liked about those two men is that they have always played their respective games the right way, Henderson in baseball and Rice in football.

The Seahawks need Rice right now. The oft-criticized Koren Robinson will be suspended for 4 games soon due to violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Bobby Engram may miss Sunday's game in Arizona due to a sprained left ankle suffered in yesterday's loss at New England.

When I first heard rumors of the Seahawks possibly showing interest in Rice, I was excited about it. I mean, why would I scoff at my team acquiring the best receiver in the history of football? If anything, Rice would help out the Seahawks receiving corps tremendously. He will bring pride, class, and leadership to the Seahawks organization. The man has won 3 Super Bowl rings. Two of those rings were won when Mike Holmgren was a 49ers assistant coach.

So for those of you who will criticize the Seahawks for bringing in a 42-year old wide receiver, just remember this:

Jerry Rice will catch the damn ball. And that's what the Seahawks offense needs desparately right now.

I'm fired up about this Seahawks team, despite the fact that they have lost 2 in a row and have lost Grant Wistrom for 4-6 weeks.

I'm anxious to see how Rice and the Seahawks respond in the weeks to come.

Welcome to Seattle, Jerry. He'll catch the damn ball.

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page