<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 27, 2004

END-ALL SUCKASS FACTOR CALCULATION 

Building on the suggestion of suckass factor by Jeremy (on-base plus suckass, specifically), and the initial calculation by Chris, I now give you my suckass factor calculation to end all suckass factor calculations...until the next one that's better comes along. For the convenient three-letter abbreviation, we'll pick SAF, which just subconsciously made geologically inclined people all over the world cringe (San Andreas Fault). Certain classes will make you learn and dread certain things.

Here it is...

SAF = 3(ML mean batting avg - player's batting avg) + 2(1.000 - player's fielding percentage) + 4(GIDP/AB) + 1.5(K/AB)

So yeah, this did somewhat build on Chris' original K + CS + 2(GIDP) suggestion, though I didn't factor in stolen bases because although getting caught stealing sucks very much ass, there's tons of slow guys that won't even be sent in the first place (i.e., John Olerud), and therefore won't be registering on any stat where being caught stealing (cue Jane's Addiction) will be involved.

The way I thought about this was to get the GIDP and K ratios in there, along with the deviations from mean batting average and from perfect fielding percentage, and then debating with myself how each should be weighted. Of course, I'm sure that there's a ton of things wrong with the stat, but I'll let it stand on its own for now.

If anyone has an Excel spreadsheet ready with all the ML stats on it and can run this with little labor involved, please let me know, because it'd be damn cool. I have to say, though, this stat should probably reserved for players with 500 or more at-bats.

[Edit Sat ~3:15a -- Make that a minimum of 500 PLATE APPEARANCES, because 500 at-bats leaves out a lot more players than I originally thought, i.e., Barry Bonds.]

/ Click for main page

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Click for Sports and B's 

home page